Nau mai, haere mai, whakatau mai ki Toi o Taupo. Welcome to Creative Taupo.
E nga reo, e nga mana, nga mataawaka o te motu, nga karanga maha puta noa i te Ao, e mihi ana ki te whenua e tangi ana ki nga tangata, ko rongo te po ko rongo te ao. Nau mai, haere mai, whakatau mai ki Toi o Taupo. Ki te whei ao ki te ao Marama, hui e taiki e!
To the orators, the authorities, the faces of the many canoes of this land, and the peoples of the world, greetings to the earth and special reminiscences to our ancestors. Welcome, welcome, welcome to Creative Taupo. Into the world of light, it is done!
Creative Taupo supports the idea that everyone in the community has the right to participate in artistic and cultural activities.
Creative Taupo assists in providing equal access for everyone in the community to the resources, advice, support and finance needed to enable their artistic and cultural expressions to become a reality. Creative Taupo can determine its own priorities, objectives and processes in arts and cultural development.
Creative Taupo receives funding from Taupo District Council and Creative New Zealand which is allocated, according to guidelines, to groups and individuals who apply in funding rounds during February and August.
Creative Taupo is a voluntary organisation with 10 members who are elected at the annual general meeting. The Taupo District Council also appoints three members.
- To take art in its broadest sense into the community
- To stimulate art and craft activity in the community
- To make art and craft activities affordable
- To promote art in the community
Statement of Purpose
Arts and culture are essential to the health and well-being of society. Like any essential service they should be available to all people, regardless of circumstance, income or race.
- To recognise and preserve the natural beauty of our environment.
- To recognise that arts and culture are an important part in the economic activity of the Taupo District community and its visitors.
- To recognise that art and culture are an essential ingredient to the well-being of our community.
- To promote the Taupo District as a central location for the development of cultural and artistic pursuits.
- To acknowledge the distinctive cultural heritage and encourage the continuing development of the arts in the Taupo District.
- To recognise the uniqueness of all ethnic groups and their cultures and to appreciate the special status of the Ngati Tuwharetoa as Tangata Whenua.